Many times as believers we tend to look at things that Jesus required for us to do as “tasks” or “duties” which are nothing but a bunch of rules. We don’t understand that there’s a spiritual implication in EVERYTHING we do. We tend to say things like “Gods still working in me” “God won’t work on me like he worked on you”. Although that is true, you must understand that there is nothing new under the sun. There are many things that are SET IN STONE and will work for EVERY believer. Regardless of age, or how long you’ve been in the faith. Many of us want God to work on us but don’t want to do things that will accelerate and solidify our spiritual growth. Jesus has left us a lot of tools which will help us live VICTORIOUS Christian lives even while still on earth. One of the most powerful things he REQUIRED his followers to do is FASTING. Many see it as “hard work” only because they don’t understand the benefits FAR outweigh the sacrifices. I pray that upon reading this blog, that the grace to be a consistent faster & live a fasted life be imparted unto you in JESUS NAME! Amen.
What Exactly is a BIBLICAL fast?
In this generation there are many ways to fast. One of the most popular is a “social media fast” or when people “fast from their phones” Although those are good, a BIBLICAL fast can be defined as such.
Fasting: A spiritual exercise which requires abstinence from solid foods or a specific type of food for a set amount of hours or days.
“Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.” – Luke 4:2
Fasting is accompanied with prayer, which makes it a spiritual exercise. If you don’t pray while you’re fasting, then you’re just on a hunger-strike. Now in order to make your fast even more EFFECTIVE, you can decide to shut out the world. Get away from social media. Abstain from any shows, movies, and music which feed your flesh while focusing on feeding your SPIRIT and creating an even deeper connection with God.
Benefits of Fasting
The benefits of Fasting are literally innumerable, but I’ll run though a list of the things I’ve personally experienced through living a fasted life. So this is experiential knowledge, and I’m 100% positive it will be the exact same case for you.
“Is not this the fast that I have chosen? To loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?” Isaiah 58:5-8
- “Loose the bands of wickedness”: Fasting creates deliverance from unclean spirits. During a fast, you’re basically starving the flesh and the unclean spirits in you will try to manifest and if you’re able to control yourself they’ll eventually leave. “Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting”: – Matthew 17:21
- “Undo heavy burdens”: Fasting creates emotional freedom!! Many believers suffer with deeply rooted emotional hurt, anger issues, and are overly emotional & affectionate. Many Christians give their life to Christ but don’t give Him their burdens, they struggle with the weight of the world on their shoulders. But fasting helps to roll all those burdens to Christ and take his Burden & Yoke. “For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” – Matthew 11:30
- “And to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?”: Fasting breaks yokes. Many are yoked to the wrong people, the wrong ministries, wrong ideologies etc. Many even have soul ties and ungodly spiritual connections due to their past lives. Fasting with praying helps break all those yokes. It helps breaks addictions such as porn and smoking.
- Subdues the Flesh: When we fast, we subdue the flesh and feed the spirit. This is VERY important in your Christian life. It’s our SPIRITS which have a connection with God. Many times our spirits are weighed down by the flesh that even when God sends a message, we don’t hear it, or by the time it comes out it’s tainted and contaminated by our emotions, experiences, and our 5 senses. But through subduing the flesh and fasting, you’ll be able to be walk in the spirit. YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO BE LED BY THE SPIRIT AND ARE NOT PREPARED TO LEAD GOD’S PEOPLE IF YOU DO NOT LIFE A FASTED LIFE.
- Guard Your Spirit & Heart: The devil uses the things we experience, hear, and see as a point of contact to contaminate our spirits. It’s mainly past experiences which open the door for certain spirits to enter someones life (lust, anger, hatred, perversion, etc). Living a fasted life keeps you walking in the spirit. So the experiences that would’ve scarred you or opened doors for demons are only learning experiences.
THERE IS NO QUICKER WAY TO HUMBLE YOURSELF AND DIE TO SELF THAN FASTING!!
Many times we pray “God humble me” etc. If you pray that prayer, then be prepared for the way God will humble you. But even before waiting for God to humble you through a breaking process, living a fasted life keeps you HUMBLE. It kills the flesh and uproots pride and arrogance. It was during my 40 day fast which I came to the understanding that BUT BY THE GRACE OF GOD I AM WHO I AM! Many people just say that verse, but don’t really live it, or let it sink in their hearts. True humility is gotten through living a fasted life. Many are operating under a false sense of Humility which covers their pride and they don’t even know it. They “pride themselves in their humility”. Their motives aren’t pure and they don’t know. But living a fasted life will help you align your will with the PERFECT will of God. It purifies your HEART and mind.
MY PERSONAL TESTIMONY
During the months of April – May, God appointed me to go on a 40 day fast in which I did not eat any solid foods. I only took water, cranberry & apple juice. Here’s what that 40 day fast accomplished in my life. Mind you, even after this 40 day fast, I still live a fasted life by fasting at least twice a week.
- EMPOWERED ME AND LAUNCHED ME INTO MY MINISTRY: During the fast my spirit man became dominate. God launched me into the ministry of deliverance, and I started casting out demons on scale that even surprised me. Currently I do at least 5 deliverances a week, casting out demons and breaking yokes over people’s lives. The fast also stirred up the gift of prophecy and prophetic dreaming in my life. Where before I would never dream at all.
- DIVINE CONNECTIONS: During and after the fast God surrounded me with people who had what He wanted to give me. He surrounded me with prophetic people who had the gift of dreaming as well. He surrounded me with youths and brought people who are a great help to my faith!
- KINGDOM ORIENTED: Living a fasted life helps me put Jesus at the center of it ALL. And understanding that the will and plans of God are much more important than my temporary emotions. It makes me want to do everything I can for the edification of the body of Christ and help God’s children regardless of how I might feel about them momentarily.
OKAY SO HOW DO I LIVE A FASTED LIFE?
Here are some steps to living a fasted life
- Fast AT LEAST once a week. I tell people to pick one or two days a week where they fast consistently. My days are on Tuesdays and Fridays!
- You can fast for a set number of hours. The most popular being 6am – 6pm on those days. Some people start from 12am – 6pm that day. What’s most important is that you’re diligent during those hours.
- You can fast from solid foods (Which is the most effective) or you can do a Daniel fast and abstain from meats for those days.
- Apart from your regular one or two days a week, you can strive to have a “breakthrough fast” Every now and then. Those are usually for 3 days, 5 days, 7 days, 14 days, 21 days, 30 days, or 40 days. Or even longer depending on how you’re led by the Holy Spirit. God actually told me in a dream that I should fast the first 3 days of every month.
- There is a “dry fast” where you don’t eat food and don’t drink water.
- Remember as you grow spiritually, your fasting life must grow as well.
- TAKE THE HOLY COMMUNION WHEN YOU BREAK YOUR FAST!!!! It’s not required for fasting but it’s required in your walk with Christ and helps you become more Christ-like!! John 6:53-58
- Pray that God give you the will to fast and the GRACE to live a fasted life!
EVEN AS YOU’RE READING THIS LAST PRAYER, I PRAY THAT A HUNGER FOR FASTING BE STIRRED UP IN YOUR BELLY. I PRAY THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT GIVE YOU THE GRACE TO LIVE A FASTED LIFE! I PRAY EVERY LIMITATION, FEAR, OR IDEOLOGY KEEPING YOU FROM FASTING BE BROKEN IN YOUR LIFE. JESUS SAID WHEN WE FAST, NOT IF WE FAST, SO I PRAY THAT EVEN AS YOU BEGIN TO FAST THAT IT TRANSFORM YOUR ENTIRE LIFE AND JOURNEY WITH CHRIST FOR THE BETTER. IN JESUS NAME! AMEN.
Prayerpoints you can use while fasting: Prayer Is The Key